Thursday, March 25, 2010

failure, but lots of potential

Well, my first venture into baking after a long long absence has failed. First, I forgot that one important step to baking or cooking in general: have all your supplies and ingredients ready. I didn't not and after I started I found that A. I did not have a complete set of measuring spoons, B. my yeast was expired, but I hoped it would still work, C it is required that you start with a clean working area.

So, I set myself up with failure, but realized that it was all preventable. I started by proofing the yeast to see if it was still viable...but I use a bread maker..so I started adding the ingredients to the machine and got as far as the first one...WATER..ok..so far so good, the second OIL..ummm? Forgot I used the last bit of oil last night..so I needed to make a run to the store..my yeast seemed to be proofing well..or so I thought.
well, came back from store and added all the ingredients to the machine..but struggled with measurements because of A..no measuring spoons. Well, I had one, the 1/8th and I used that.
added all the wet ingredients and dried ingredients..and started the machine..

but realized I didn't use the proofed yeast..just kept adding the ingredients in order and did not figure out that I had the proof yeast..by the way, I had a 4 year trying to get my attention most of the time..so I am not THAT scattered brain.

So, then I decided why not make more bread..a la "from scratch"..so I got a neat recipe from online. I will post the link when I am on my laptop as I have it saved to favorites there.

worked the dough, and set it to rise..and rise..and rise..and rise..Hmmm? Maybe the yeast was dead, or maybe my kitchen was to cold..it was cold..very cold..

so..by this time my bread machine beeped (I had been homeschooling and cleaning and cooking this whole while).. I looked at my little loaf. I guess the yeast was not good..because my bread did not rise as high as it should have.
Sadly I have LOTS of yeast, because a while ago, when I was on another homesteading/frugal kick I came across a HUGE clearance on yeast and I stocked up on yeast. .10 cents for a pack of 3..you can imagine the amount I had..I went crazy with yeast. I have had it in the fridge for ages..hoping that it would keep. Well..I guess not.

So I will have to go buy new yeast..and lesson learned..just because its a great deal doesn't mean you need it all right then and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment